Monday, June 30, 2008

Thing 17 - ELM Productivity Tools

I got the search alert set up. My topic is kind of esoteric, so I won't expect frequent feedback.

At first I thought that creating a website through EBSCO would be silly, but when I e-mailed it to myself and saw how easy it then was to access the articles I thought it was pretty neat. It makes we wonder why EBSCO would allow this kind of sharing of documents (for anyone, anywhere could receive the e-mail and look at the articles), but it is not for me to always wonder why.

I like that in Proquest, you don't need to set up an account to create the webpage. But, this method allows me to lose my file, while the EBSCO log in will keep the information for me off site.

I created a NetLibrary account many years ago and it was a challenge to remember what my account name and password are. I think I used NetLibrary in college and grad school, and because of my own usage, I have recommended this particular database to patrons.

Unfortunately, the e-content was not available because my library did not own the book recommended. I found a different book and clicked around in it for a bit.

The RSS feeds can help patrons receive new information on their topic without them having to search again. This is useful for students and for everyday people who have an interest in new information on a topic of their choice. Results from the RSS feeds are informational treats that show up when unexpected. Staff can use the website feature of EBSCO and ProQuest to seek assistance from other staff members in answering a question. They could put "this is what I have found... this is how I searched... what can you think of that I missed?... oh, and btw, this is why they were asking..."

No comments: