Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thing 15 - Online Games and Libraries

Puzzle Pirates Adventures! isn't working. :-(

I try to create a new account and I get "Logon failed: Either there is a temporary network outage or the server is down for maintenance. Please wait a moment before reconnecting."

I have not played online games. I have purchased games and downloaded them over the internet - anyone try Snood? Fantastic. I played frequently when I was in grad school. It got to the point that I would see their little faces every time I blinked. I am not meant to play games because I get obsessed for varying amounts of time. When I first started Sudoku, I got to the point I would continue to try to solve a stuck puzzle when I was trying to fall asleep. No paper in front of me. Just my memory of how the puzzle was laid out. Truly a waist of brain power. And not a power I have been able to use in other aspects of my life.

Ah, you know what? I have played online games. It's that darn Sudoku, again!

I watched the tour of Info Island. I think that was enough Second Life for me. I could stare old brick wall screen saver for hours. I don't want to be wandering around hour after hour. I would feel the need to get a new computer and high-speed internet. Then my real life, as I know it, would be over. Aside from that, there is no way Second Life will load correctly on our work computers, or on my dial up connected computer at home. Sorry.

We have teens and preteens come into the library and play virtual games. RuneScape is one of the favorites at the moment. This just reminded me that we need to set up a new copy of the physical game "Guess Who?"

I have read that women in their middle years are the largest population of gamers. These would be the women who unwind at the end of the day by playing bridge or Sudoku or something else online. Some of these women come into the library, too. It isn't just teens and preteens.

No comments: