Friday, June 6, 2008

Thing 11 - Tagging and del.icio.us

I think that this would be useful for research assistance as long as the person didn't go overboard in tagging everything. It is too easy to tag websites. It think that people will tag things that are marginally interesting and will clutter up their accounts making a particular website more difficult to look for than using a search engine. However, if a person uses care in the tags and the amount of websites that are tagged, this could be a very useful tool.

I like how San Mateo Public Library uses Dewey to organize its tags. But I really like how Mensha Public Library just uses major subject categories to bundle the tags. I think that this method is more useful for the public. It organizes the tags which otherwise would be very confusing.

I don't like the looks of tag clouds. I find them confusing. This is how my brain is wired, and I don't expect others to be like me. It is just too much for me to look at so I just gaze over it, seeing nothing. I would need bundling for this to make any useful visual sense to me.

No comments: