Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Thing 13 - Online Productivity Tools

I set up a start page with iGoogle. I tried to enter a countdown clock for when my expected death might be, but the clock only goes through next year and I plan on living much longer then that. So, I used the Google interface to search for more widgets (gadgets) and found one that allowed me to both add it to iGoogle and have the countdown go for many years. Ahh. Much better. Yet still slightly morbid. www.deathclock.com and http://www.widgetbox.com/widget/countdown-clock for your information.

I signed up for a Google Calendar. I tried to link it to the iGoogle page but that didn't fly. Hmm, I just went back and putzed with the settings and added weather, but I don't see it anywhere... Ah, that is because I am not that intelligent. I didn't tell it where I was. That feature adds a calendar to the account. Kind of cool. - But not here today. It is warm. But it is supposed to rain.

I think that I will pass on all of these. I live a very simple life and don't need to have an intricate calendar system set up. My to do lists are usually short enough to keep in my head if it is something that I am actually going to do in the near future. Or, I just write a note on a piece of paper and stick it somewhere I will see it. At home, those notes go on the patio door. At work, they live on the desk, or on the computer monitor. Extremely short term to do lists go on my left wrist. (I have been doing that for 19 years.)

I don't want to rely on a computer to tell me what I need to do because I can't rely on the computers to do what they need to do. We don' t have enough of them at work for everyone to have one to use, and really, too many websites and passwords. (Yes, I could del.icio.us the address, but argh!)

I looked at Backpack, but I didn't sign up for the 30 day free trial.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I'm with you! I've used my pants pocket as my filing cabinet for "to do" lists for too many years to count and it works great even in power outages. It gets things done and that's what counts.